Individuals aged 70 or older in England who haven’t but had their coronavirus vaccine however want to are being requested to contact the NHS.
A nationwide reserving system will be accessed on-line or folks can name 119 freed from change between 7am and 11pm.
At a Downing Avenue information briefing, deputy chief medical officer Prof Jonathan Van-Tam urged folks to get the vaccine “at once”.
“Defend your self in opposition to the clear and current hazard,” he stated.
He stated the vaccines labored very properly in opposition to the “rapid menace” of the Kent variant of coronavirus circulating within the UK.
He assured the general public that the South African variant – which has undergone some adjustments that may impression vaccines to some extent – just isn’t the UK’s most dominant variant and there was “no cause to counsel it is going to catch up or overtake our present virus within the subsequent few months”.
Some 147 circumstances of the South Africa variant have been discovered within the UK.
- South African variant: What’s the danger?
Evaluation: Why scientists are assured in vaccines, regardless of new variants
Coronavirus is mutating and a few of the new variations of the virus look like altering in ways in which might in the end have an effect on current vaccines.
Which will sound worrying, however consultants are assured that the present ones in use nonetheless work very properly and can shield in opposition to extreme sickness.
Scientists have been operating a lot of checks and people counsel that regardless of the vaccines being a less than excellent match for a few of the new variants, such because the South Africa one, they do a lot for what issues most – saving lives.
Findings already present the Oxford-AstraZeneca provides good safety in opposition to the Kent variant of coronavirus that’s the most typical variant circulating within the UK.
And information on the South Africa variant with an identical sort of vccine, made by pharmaceutical firm Janssen, counsel safety in opposition to extreme Covid-19 is maintained.
Scientists are working to replace vaccines to ensure they sustain with the virus because it continues to alter.
That is one thing the world could be very used to for flu vaccines, which will be up to date yearly.
Vaccines will be tweaked in a matter of weeks or months if needed.
Docs wish to guarantee everybody in an eligible group has had the prospect to be immunised.
Well being Secretary Matt Hancock stated “we won’t relaxation” till all of these in in danger teams have been supplied the vaccine.
Till now the NHS has requested folks to attend till they’re contacted for vaccination to assist be certain that those that are most susceptible are protected first.
Individuals over 70 in Scotland, Wales and Northern Eire are being suggested that they are going to be contacted by the NHS with an appointment.
Greater than 12 million folks have already obtained a primary dose and plenty of who haven’t but booked an appointment are receiving comply with up letters and telephone calls this week to encourage them to take up the provide of a vaccine. Individuals can select a time slot and site for his or her appointment.
To this point:
- 91% of over 80s have had the vaccine, and 93% of care residence residents
- 95% of individuals aged 75-79 have had it
- and round 75% of individuals aged 70-74 have obtained a primary dose
Well being and social care staff, who’re additionally among the many high 4 precedence teams for vaccination, ought to converse to their employer about arranging their jab in the event that they haven’t but had one.
Dr Nikki Kanani, a GP and medical director for major care at NHS England, stated: “If you’re aged 70 and over, and have not but obtained your vaccine, please come ahead and make an appointment as quickly as you may.
“The vaccine is protected, easy, and can give you and people round you essential safety in opposition to this virus.”
It comes as:
- The federal government says coronavirus vaccines might be supplied to everybody dwelling within the UK freed from cost, no matter their immigration standing. They need folks within the nation illegally to know they won’t be vulnerable to deportation if they arrive ahead for a jab
- The federal government is aiming to supply first doses to fifteen million folks within the high 4 precedence teams by 15 February. On the present fee, about 16 million folks would obtain a primary jab by that date
- Well being secretary Matt Hancock stated the UK’s vaccination programme should hold tempo with the virus. The federal government has a partnership with CureVac to develop new vaccines in opposition to future variants.
- PM Boris Johnson says the vaccines in use within the UK are “efficient in combating critical dying and sickness in all variants”
- LOOK-UP TOOL: What number of circumstances in your space?
- OXFORD JAB: What’s the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine?
- SYMPTOMS: What are they and methods to guard in opposition to them?
- QUARANTINE: Will I have to self-isolate in a resort?
Let’s block advertisements! (Why?)